Kenji Suzuki (鈴木健二 Suzuki Kenji, born 16 January 1950), known as Damo Suzuki (ダモ鈴木), is a singer best known for his membership in the German krautrock group Can.
As a teenager, Suzuki spent the late 1960s wandering around Europe, often busking.
When Malcolm Mooney left Can after recording their first album Monster Movie, Holger Czukay and Jaki Liebezeit encountered Suzuki busking in Munich, Germany whilst the two were sitting outside at a street café, they invited him to join the group. And he did, performing with them that evening.
Suzuki was with Can from 1970 to 1973, recording a number of well-regarded albums such as Tago Mago, Future Days and Ege Bamyasi. Suzuki’s first vocal performance with Can was «Don’t Turn the Light On, Leave Me Alone» from Soundtracks. His freeform, often improvised lyrics, were sung in no particular language.
He returned to music in 1983, and currently leads what is known as Damo Suzuki’s Network — as he tours, he performs live improvisational music with various local musicians, so-called «Sound Carriers».
The Fall‘s 1985 album This Nation’s Saving Grace features a song «I Am Damo Suzuki,» inspired by and dedicated to the singer. The rock band The Mooney Suzuki takes its name from Damo Suzuki and Can’s earlier vocalist Malcolm Mooney.
Damo Suzuki performs on the following albums:
- Can Soundtracks 1970
- Can Tago Mago 1971
- Can Ege Bamyasi 1972
- Can Future Days 1973
- Can Unlimited Edition 1976 (compilation)
- Dunkelziffer In The Night 1984
- Dunkelziffer III 1986
- Dunkelziffer Live 1985 1997
- Damo Suzuki’s Network Tokyo On Air West 30.04.97 1997
- Damo Suzuki’s Network Tokyo On Air West 02.05.97 1997
- Damo Suzuki’s Network Osaka Muse Hall 04.05.97 1997
- Damo Suzuki Band V.E.R.N.I.S.S.A.G.E. 1998
- Damo Suzuki Band P.R.O.M.I.S.E. (7CD Box) 1998
- Damo Suzuki’s Network Seattle 1999
- Damo Suzuki’s Network Odyssey 2000
- Damo Suzuki’s Network JPN ULTD Vol.1 2000
- Damo Suzuki’s Network Metaphysical Transfer 2001
- Damo Suzuki’s Network JPN ULTD Vol.2 2002
- Cul De Sac / Damo Suzuki Abhayamudra 2004
- Sixtoo — Chewing on Glass & Other Miracle Cures 2004
- Damo Suzuki’s Network Hollyaris 2005 (2CD)
- Damo Suzuki’s Network 3 Dead People After The Performance 2005
- Damo Suzuki and Now The London Evening News 2006 (CD)
- Damo Suzuki’s network Tutti i colori del silenzio 2006 (CD)
- Omar Rodriguez-Lopez & Damo Suzuki Please Heat This Eventually 2007
- Safety Magic Voices 2007
- Audioscope Music For A Good Home 2010 (CD)
- Damo Suzuki & The Holy Soul Dead Man Has No 2nd Chance 2010 (CD)
- Damo Suzuki & Cuzo Puedo Ver Tu Mente 2011(CD/LP)
- Damo Suzuki & Congelador 2011
- Radio Massacre International «Lost in Transit 4: DAMO» 2010 (CD)
- Simon Torssell Lerin / Bettina Hvidevold Hystad with Damo Suzuki Simon Torssell Lerin / Bettina Hvidevold Hystad with Damo Suzuki 2013 (Vinyl Box Set Including Book And LP)